This is specifically about the television anime, not the upcoming film, not the manga, but the show – which just came to it’s conclusion this week on it’s 99th episode. This is not my full review of the series but rather my ‘review’ of the finale, however this ending managed to retroactively effect the rest of the show as well. And yes, this will contain spoilers given it’s about the last episode specifically.
I’ll just say it right off the bat, the ending made what was an easy 10/10 series for me into a 6 or 7 at best – it was beyond unsatisfying, it was just a plain bad ending. Nothing was concluded, a group of non-characters were sent to the moon (Vince being the only named character in that mission, I’d be surprised if you even know who that is off the top of your head) while Mutta sat on his ass at NASA HQ and Hibito is going around the US like a bum.
To top it all off, we have one of the worst openings and endings the show has had in all 99 episodes in the finale. Why didn’t they leave this shit OP for second to last? The prior OP was incredible and perfect for the series and all the trials they’ve gone through and people who have helped them, yet, no, let’s go with the shitty pseudo hip-hop and retarded joke shit giant flying mutta rocket with afro included. And the ending? Lets go with that emotionless one with stupid shit flying over a still image and a boring song. Great.
This is not what I sat through 99 episodes for.
Let’s see what closure we’ve had:
- Mutta and Serika? No, they haven’t even talked in ages aside doing some stupid fucking square dance together during an episode focused on Kenji. The final episode is no exception, not a single word between them.
- Hibito x That Moe Russian Girlfriend of his? Well, he’s going back to Russia to be a cosmonaut…so this might actually develop, I really like these two and they are pretty much together as it is, so that’s about the only positive here.
- Mutta and Hibito going to space together? Not even close. Mutta is working at a computer station in NASA HQ as a backup (meaning it could be 30+ years before he’s in space, IF EVER) and Hibito ran away like a little girl once NASA made it clear they think he’s not fit for space anymore.
- Kenji and Nitta got a mission to go to an asteroid, that’s the last time they were relevant – they’ve been around and have not gone on said mission, so we didn’t even get to see them go to space.
- Serika and Ena also have a mission to go to the ISS, however, much like Kenji and Nitta they were never launched on said mission within the show and we never see them in space.
- That stupid old bitch who made the worst arc in the series happen still isn’t dead. Her stupid goddamn moon telescope isn’t made either.
- Still no explanation about the UFO that Mutta and Hibito saw as kids.
Hibito is literally the only main character ever to actually leave the atmosphere, and he only does so because he was an astronaut from the beginning of the fucking series and only does earlier on in the show before being sent back to Earth and stuck there. Along with all that – here’s a fucking question: what was the point of all those shitty new characters in that last arc? Those people literally existed for around 3 episodes, got ‘developed’ like they were sticking around and we were supposed to care, then they just phased out of being anywhere in the show randomly.
I can say one fucking thing for this show: It got the realism right. This whole group will probably never actually go to fucking space, let alone two brothers which would take a miracle to get them to be put together on the same mission – and that miracle never came. This series has no payoff, not even one you can create yourself with this ending. There is nothing that makes any of this show worth watching anymore, and I can only regret the past 99 episodes worth of time I’ve wasted. 2 years of watching these characters, knowing that by the end they will achieve the title – the Nanba brothers will be in space together – and in the end you get nothing.
May as well have called it “NASA Training: The Animation”, because that’s all we fucking got.
Uchuu Kyoudai can take this fucking rocket and shove it right up it’s own ass unless the upcoming film gives full closure to every single loose major plot string. That or this better just be a hiatus, otherwise I can feel nothing but massive disappointment in this series for promising so much and delivering absolutely goddamn nothing. I felt so attached to this show, to the cast, and to their dreams – to the things the show promised from episode one, and I feel unbelievably let down by this so-called ‘conclusion’. I have a feeling the movie won’t do much in fixing that.
UPDATE: The movie IS A FUCKING PREQUEL so it will factually do nothing to fix this ending. Well shit. The only hope now is that this is just a hiatus so they can focus on the film – however there are no official statements even implying that this is just a hiatus and the only mention that this would be the finale pretty clearly stated it is ‘the end’ of the show.